Robotics Special Interest Group
Learn and expand your knowledge of how robots are built and how they work! In this Special Interest Group, you'll get the chance to build robots, discover how to code them, and have leadership opportunities. Girls in the group are separated into divisions that bring together girls of similar ages. The Robotics Special Interest Group meets monthly and each division meets separately. See information below for Division descriptions, grades, and meeting times.
This signup will be open all membership year, as girls are welcome to join year-round until maximum numbers are met. If the group is full, girls should utilize the waitlist and they will be notified when spots become available. Girls should NOT be registered in a different Division if the one appropriate for them is full.
- NOTE: If a girl is in a grade that spans 2 divisions, she should choose based on her skill level and/or age. For example, if it is April and she is comfortable with the content and already an older 3rd grader (about age 9), it may be appropriate to choose the Engineer Division since she will be a rising 4th grader soon and would be comfortable with the content. Or, she can participate as an Explorer over the summer to build her skill and move to Engineer by July/August before competition begins. Girls should NOT be registered in a different Division if the one appropriate for them is full.
- EXPLORER DIVISION (K-4): girls work with motorized Lego elements while they learn teamwork and explore real-world science. In this division Legos and motors are used with possible exploration of EV3 components. The Explorer Division participants may have the option to compete at the FLL Jr. level.
- This Division meets the afternoon of the 4th Sunday of each month. Specific meeting information will be shared upon registration.
- ENGINEER DIVISION (4-8): girls build and design Lego-based robots and take on engineering challenges. In this division Lego components and EV3/Mindstorm software are used. The Engineer Division participants may have the option to compete at the FLL level.
- This Division meets the afternoon of the 4th Saturday of each month. Specific meeting information will be shared upon registration.
- INVENTOR DIVISION (7-12): girls are challenged to invent, design, build, and program robots. Girls in this division work with Tetrix components with coding from software such as Java. The Inventor Division participants may have the option to compete at the FTC level.
- This Division has a TBD meeting day and time. Once we finalize who our Inventor Division Leader will be, we will be able announce the meeting times and days. This information will be updated on the online signup and sent out to anyone already registered.
Bring: Permission Slip and Medical Form
Contact: (General) Kelli Cavenah, GSLE Manager, 713-292-0271, firstname.lastname@example.org
(Registration) Registrars, 713-292-0370, email@example.com
Note: COMPETITION - Members of the Robotics Special Interest Group (SIG) will have the option to compete on a robotics team through tournaments organized by the FIRST organization. Competition is considered a voluntary participation opportunity that is run independently from this group and not a required activity for girls in the SIG. The competition season typically begins in September and girls should be in the SIG by July 1 to compete in that year's season. Information about the competition season is disseminated before the start of the season to those who are part of the SIG. (A separate signup will be done for competition at that time.)
Please review our refund policy. By registering for this activity, you acknowledge that you understand the refund policy. Refunds will be issued for the Robotics SIG only when requested and if the girl has been registered in the group for 3 or less months.