Girl Scout Cookies get French twist for GSSJCs famous dessert event
Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council (GSSJC) hosted its 2014 Just Desserts event in late January at La Colombe d’Or. Guests were whisked away to the City of Sweets, which had them daydreaming of sightseeing in France’s capital, Paris, or the City of Light. Guests sampled eight distinctive desserts from Houston’s most talented chefs all based on one of America’s favorite cookies: Girl Scout Cookies.
More than 100 guests enjoyed the pallet-pleasing event as celebrity chefs vied for the title of Most Creative Recipe, Best Use of Cookie, Best Table Display, Celebrity Judges Favorite, Most Delicious, Most Camp Friendly, Best Theme Interpretation and People’s Choice Award.
This year’s participants included chefs from Cacao & Cardamom, Main Course Cooking School, The Pasty of Dreams, Maine Ly Sandwiches, Smallcakes Houston, The Village Bakery, The Sweet Boutique and Haven.
Girl Scouts were paired with members of the media who served as the competition’s judges, which included Sonia Azad of ABC-13; Amy Davis of KPRC Local 2; Lizzet Lopez of Univision; Eric Sandler of CultureMap; Katharine Shilcutt of Houstonia Magazine; and Dana Donovan of Houston Family Magazine.
The girl judges and assistant chefs were all top cookie sellers, having each sold more than 1,000 boxes during the 2012-2013 Girl Scout Cookie Program.
Participants earned the following titles:
- Most Creative Recipe – Cacao & Cardamom – Cranberry Citrus Crisp
- Best Use of Cookie – Main Course Cooking School – Thin Mint
- Best Table Display – The Pastry of Dreams – Thanks-a-Lot
- Celebrity Judges Favorite – Maine Ly Sandwiches – Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Girl Scout Judges Favorites – Smallcakes Houston - Shortbread
- Most Delicious – The Village Bakery – Lemonades
- Most Camp Friendly – The Sweet Boutique – Peanut Butter Patty
- Best Theme Interpretation – Haven – Caramel Delight
- People’s Choice – Smallcakes Houston - Shortbread